Wednesday, July 23, 2008

He Had A Hunch

The Beautiful George Carlin: "George grew tougher and sharper over the years, putting more of himself, and his intellect, at the service of his always nimble, always adventurous comedy mind. And, while his comedy was dark, his spirit with his peers was generous."

I saw him once on a TV talk show where former Hollywood bombshell Lana Turner was one of the guests. It became immediately clear that, for some reason, she had a big dislike for him and at one point said to the other host that George actually was scaring her - his look included long-hair and roughly mantained, hippie-like clothing. George seemed to be taken aback by her obvious revulsion, and so was I - bigtime. But it was suddenly and unmistakably very clear to me that she was a monster and that he was my brilliant, powerful and beautiful knight in the blessed New Order.

Life jumped out of him like radiation, and sometimes when I saw him in the later years - older than I thought many of us would ever become, I would be reminded of these lines from a Russian poet:

Into the distance disappear
the mounds of human heads

I dwindle, go unnoticed now

But in affectionate books,
in children's games

I will rise from the dead
to say, "the sun!"

Ultimately, for me, his beauty was his hunch about life - that it was never too hot to touch, and that everything mattered.

No comments: