Monday, December 13, 2004

The Bible tells me so / Religion in the Heartland is more complex than those of us in the blue states sometimes think

The Bible tells me so / Religion in the Heartland is more complex than those of us in the blue states sometimes think: "'Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?'
'I know from Leviticus 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?'"

1 comment:

Phill said...

...and also, "My uncle has a farm. He violates Leviticus 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife, by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend.) He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them, as suggested by Leviticus 24: 10-16? Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws as per Leviticus 20:14?"