Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Dr. Gupta Is So Much Smaller Off TV

Listen Up, Reality Has Its Own Voice: "From Steve in Los Angeles:

Michael,

Can you please explain to Dr. Gupta that in the world that most Americans live in, we're not looking for 'Health Care Utopia', and having to wait in a doctors office to be seen is something of a luxury many of us can no longer afford. His comment that in countries with free health care there is a long wait-time to see a doctor and it takes months to schedule elective surgery is laughable. That's like telling a starving person 'don't bother with the free food, there's a line to get in and service is just awful.' Are you joking?

I'm a self employed carpenter with no health insurance. None. I can't afford it. I go to work everyday knowing that one slip of the saw, and I could be choosing my fingers or sewing up my own leg. That's my reality. Everyday I go to work and listen to the cartilage in my knee CRUNCH when I climb a ladder, and the only thing I can do is pray it holds out for just a couple more years. Everyday, I am one misstep away from bankruptcy.

I've been living with a degenerating knee injury for YEARS because I can't afford to do a god damn thing about it, and you think having to wait in a Doctor's office for free treatment is something I care about? If I could schedule a simple arthroscopy, free of charge but it's going to have to be in September, do you honestly think I'm going to say 'no, I'd rather wait until arthritis completely debilitates me and I can no longer work?'

Come live in our world for a while, Doctor, then talk to me about 'wait-time'.

Thanks Michael."


It can't be said any better than that.

No comments: