Saturday, September 03, 2005

Pets are suffering terribly in this catastrophy

AccessNorthGa.com - North Georgia's Newsroom: "As Valerie Bennett was being evacuated from a New Orleans hospital last week, rescuers told her there was no room in the boat for her dogs.

She pleaded. "I offered him my wedding ring and my mom's wedding ring," the 34-year-old nurse recalled Saturday.

They wouldn't budge. She and her husband could bring only one item, and they already had a tupperwear tub containing the medicines her husband -- a liver transplant recipient -- needs to survive.

She left her dogs with an anesthesiologist who was taking care of about 30 staff members' pets on the roof of the hospital, Lindy Boggs Medical Center.
The doctor euthanized some animals at the request of their owners, who feared they would be abandoned and starve to death. He set up a small gas chamber out of a plastic-wrapped dog kennel.
'The bigger dogs were fighting it. Fighting the gas. It took them longer. When I saw that, I said 'I can't do it,'' Lorne Bennett said.
But the anesthesiologist, a cat owner, promised to care for the other pets."

This drives me nuts.

No comments: