Thursday, December 08, 2005

Katrina Is Still Killing - Meet David Before He's Gone

We Must Help - We've Got To Find A Way To Help: "...someone asked what day of the week it was, prompting a response from one officer that Osofsky will never forget. 'He said, 'I know what day it is. Every day is the same day; it's the day after the hurricane.' '"

David, an artiste - and a person like many of the people I've known throughout my life, explains in words that chill my heart, "I'm one of those people who just got hit real hard. I'm very scared," he said, his voice barely audible, his face hidden beneath the hat. "I'm scared because I don't have any identity anymore."

The combination of sadness, guilt and despair has prompted him to consider suicide.

"Being here right now, this exact moment, is one of the most painful moments of my life," he said.


My country's abysmal response to this catastrophe is one of the biggest surprises of my life.

No comments: