Thursday, July 21, 2005

USATODAY.com

USATODAY.com: "�We continue to believe that Roe was wrongly decided and should be overruled.�
� John Roberts in a Supreme Court brief he co-wrote in 1991 for the first Bush administration, while he was principal deputy solicitor general
�The statement in the brief was my position as an advocate for a client.�
� Roberts, explaining the brief during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on his nomination to a federal appeals court in 2003
�Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land. It's a little more than settled. It was reaffirmed in the face of a challenge that it should be overruled. � There's nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent.�
� Roberts, during the Senate confirmation hearing, when asked for his own views on Roe v. Wade
�I don't think it's appropriate for me to criticize it as judicial activism. � My definition of judicial activism is when the court departs from applying the rule of law and undertakes legislative or executive decisions.�
� Roberts, during the confirmation hearing, on whether Roe v. Wade was judicial activism"

No comments: