Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blocking Thoughts: Yes, You Can Stop Thinking About It


After observatio­n and a few amateur experiment­s, I came to realize that if I continued to worry over something, nothing about the reality of the situation changed. So there was no benefit to worrying - in fact, it was a total waste of time. So I began using a "no" technique. Whenever unwanted thoughts entered my mind I would quickly and decisively say "no!" - if I was alone I would say it out loud, but either way it would be firm and I would immediatel­y stop the unwanted thinking. It has always worked for me.



Although I rely on my "no" technique, I read about and tried another one specifical­ly for nighttime worrying where you get up, write down each of the things you are worrying about and make a note as to the next time you really need to think about this. Then go back to bed. I've tried this twice and it worked both times.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments: