Monday, May 23, 2011

The Rules Have Changed - The New Bagaudes

'I Played By The Rules' -- 'The Rules Have Changed': "'On the eve of my 60th birthday and without marketable skills I have no chance of ever finding a job again in the traditional economy,' writes a North Carolinian who's been out of work nearly two years. 'I am determined to survive this horror show. But my survival will not be determined by our broken economy. It’s 'think outside the box' time. Traditional methods obviously won’t work for people like me.'"

Once upon a time; as the end neared in the viscious 5th century, the rules bent beyond where anything about Roman life could help at all. Families were abandoning their meager farms and the confiscatory taxes; men were shutting their urban shops, and increasingly more and more people avoided their place in civic life; eventually abandoning all to hit the road in many forms - as lawless gangs, as scavenging thieves seeking food, as roaming peasants, and as 'Bagaudes' - road warriors with nothing to lose as the greater culture of their Roman world collapsed behind them, and the medieval future formed in the mist up ahead.

No comments: