Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Time After Time

"Before getting locked up in ’60, I’d had a pretty good run on the streets, and though I knew I wasn’t a big success at the things I was trying to do, I thought I was a smoothing-talking mother who knew what the score was. Jail life has always kept up on what is happening in the fast lane, but hell, the things I was seeing there in Frisco, I felt I was in a horse-and-buggy trying to keep up with a jet-liner. In the 50s, to score a lid of grass you had to make a phone call or two and use a lot of discretion about who you dealt with. As for making it with a broad, a guy might wine and dine her several times before being able to kiss a girl goodnight. Now people were like the music, very fast. And all seemed willing. Pretty little girls were running around every place with no panties or bras and asking for love. Grass and hallucinatory drugs were being handed to you on the streets. It was a different world than I had ever been in and one that I believed was too good to be true. It was a convict’s dream and after being locked up for seven solid years, I didn’t run from it. I joined it and the generation that lived it." - Charles Manson

No comments: