Monday, October 25, 2010

Greatest Person Of The Day

Bun Lai, Chef And Sustainable Sushi Guru: "Thirty years ago, when my mother opened Miya's, there were very few sushi restaurants in Connecticut. My mother wanted to introduce Americans to Japanese culture so she served some of the most authentic Japanese food around. When I took over, I yearned to cook in a way that was truer to the person that I am. I am Chinese and Japanese and I was largely raised in New Haven, Conn., where I was exposed to people from all around the world and entrenched in the Yale community through my father who was a medical doctor and a researcher. So, my sushi is quite American. And, when I say American, I don't mean American in the way that so many ethnic foods in America have evolved into junk food. Miya's is American in the way that it is meaningfully and positively innovative"

No comments: