Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Debtors' Prison: Jobless Woman Jailed For Unpaid Traffic Fines


...odd? You replied to me but the reply was removed... it wasn't offensive.­.. as I said, odd.



Anyway, I'm no lawyer, but I did follow the bankruptcy law change a few years ago and became very concerned. The reason one can now land in jail in a bankruptcy scenario is that the final orders from the judge include your need to pay off certain debts - if you don't you are defying the judges orders and THAT will get you in jail. Prior to the bankruptcy proceeding­s, your debt obligation­s were not a court order, merely a financial issue for you and the creditor - no jail would result.



My Senator Diane Feinstein voted for the changes to the bankruptcy laws - a very egregious error - and I have never trusted her again.
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments: